Creates a safe and positive atmosphere that welcomes and respects all individuals while promoting and maintain safe swimming conditions in the pool, deck and surrounding areas in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures.
- Maintains active surveillance of the pool area.
- Knows and reviews all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with YMCA policies, procedures, and the “safe-in-six” model; completes related reports as required.
- Responds to challenges with possible solutions in a timely manner.
- Knows, understands, and consistently applies safety rules, policies, and guidelines for the pool and aquatic area.
- Remains calm and objective when under pressure or when challenged by others.
- Maintains accurate records as required by the YMCA and/or the state health department code.
- Performs equipment checks and ensures appropriate equipment is available as needed.
- Checks the pool for hazardous conditions when arriving.
- Performs chemical testing when not guarding, as required, and takes appropriate action.
- Minimum age of 16
- Certifications: Basic life support or professional rescuer CPR/AED, first aid, and emergency oxygen administration
- Current YMCA Lifeguard or equivalent
- Child abuse prevention training within 30 days of hire date
- Ability to maintain certification-level physical and mental readiness
- Must demonstrate lifeguard skills in accordance with YMCA standards