Day Camp Counselor
Job Category Part-Time
Position Summary: Provides direct supervision to a group of children in seasonal day camp. Creates positive, nurturing relationships with children, while building cooperative relationships with parents/caregivers. Promotes and supports the potential of all youth in programs and facilitates peer-to-peer connections as part of the overall camp experience.
- Supervises a group of children.
- Serve as a role model for participants and peers.
- Plans and implements program activities that is culturally relevant, developmentally appropriate and consistent with YMCA values.
- Adheres to program standards including safety and cleanliness standards.
- Attends staff meetings and trainings including but not limited to the two-week onboarding camp training.
- Follows YMCA policies and procedures, including those related to medical and disciplinary situations, drop off/pick up procedures, incident/accident reports, accurate head counts, child abuse prevention and emergencies.
- Maintains positive relations with parents and other staff. Models relationship-building skills (including Listen-First) in all interactions.
- High school graduate or equivalent; one year or more of college preferred.
- Previous experience working with children, preferably in a day camp setting.
- Experience preferred in one or more of the following areas: outdoor living, archery, boating, camping, songs/music, skits, sports, aquatics, recreational games, etc.
- At least 18 years of age (The age minimum may be higher depending on state law and YMCA policies.)
- CPR, first aid, AED certifications, and child abuse prevention training within 30 days of hire date.
- Previous experience with diverse populations preferred.